POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : First try with Photons - help? : Re: First try with Photons - help? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:31:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First try with Photons - help?
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 13 Mar 2001 19:52:43
Message: <3aaec0db$1@news.povray.org>
That brings up a deeper question of just how photons work.  That is, it
seems to take the place of regular shadow calculations?  Hmm, I suppose it
works by saying that any object that uses photons will turn completely
opaque to the regular lighting code, and any light that comes through will
be added by the photon illumination instead.

And you answered another question as well, and that being whether radiosity
can be used with photons or if photons takes the place of (is a superset of)
radiosity.

Any idea what causes the black streak in the middle of the wall?  I always
figured it was a shadow of the tip of the glass, but the streak is in all
directions, not just where the tip is.

Thanks for the insight, as always.

--John